Friday 29 June 2012

Update - No.9 - 31.05.11



Originally sent via email to friends and family only in May 2011

Hello again my lovely Corkettes - I'm back!

It's been a month since my last update and progress has been made in numerous areas.  All baseboard sections have now been completed along the garage doors wall and these just need to have the adjustable feet tweaked to provide a level height.  As I showed you last time I have already finished the section round the corner and up to the entrance to the room and I had hoped to lay the return loop track for the lowest level storage tracks.  However it seemed logical to start work on the helix instead as this will be the pivotal piece of trackwork on the layout so the one which should be tackled first.  I have somehow managed to curb my enthusiasm to lay track and will wait a little longer to ensure it only need to be laid once!


My rate of construction has slowed over the last few weeks as any free time has been devoted to working on the garden and the final few jobs required to finish the house.  Mrs Corky also had a week off work with me and inexplicably she didn't want to spend it all alone whilst I worked on the Corkscrew-Lines - how bizarre!  Hopefully I can now start to ramp up the construction again and start working through my plywood stockpile.


Taming the Helix - part 1

In my head I have had numerous ideas and weighed up options for the size, location and construction of the helix over the last few years but I now need to just bite the bullet and build it.  The nagging doubt has always been that when it's finished it will be too severe a challenge for the trains I want to run.  I have set a objective of a single diesel loco hauling up to 8 coaches and I think this should be easily achievable with modern locos from the likes of Heljan and Bachmann etc.  The issue however may be the steam locos.....especially those without enough driven wheels or weight to attack the climb.  So I needed to reach a compromise where the helix has enough trackage run between loops so everything can tackle it, without the entire room being dominated by it.  I have decided on an oval design on a baseboard of 4' x 7' with an additional 1' board to the sides and rear to allow for the 2nd track run on levels 2a & 3a and for hidden storage and sidings from virtually any level or point on the layout.  I won't try to explain it all here.....far to involved. For now, just see the photos of the sub-frame for the helix which has been built extra strong to ensure reliable running.



Corky works on the helix base


The helix base
The helix base
Corky in the helix base
The helix base
The philosophy for the layout has been it must all be easily dismantled and removed if we ever move in the future.  The conflict however is the helix  must be solid and strong as it is the heart of a multi-level layout such as this so I decided to make it a single entity which can only leave the room via the garage doors.  Although the layout is modular, it is not supposed to be easily transportable (only when moving house) so as long as nothing needs to be destroyed to remove it, I can live with the helix being a bit of a monster.  It'll take a few guys and some patience to remove it but it can be done!  The total dimensions for the entire helix and additional 3 perimeter boards which are bolted on is a not inconsiderable 5' x 9'.  I decided to make the helix large with a gentler grade to try to ensure reliable running rather than make it a convenient size but have issues with trains stalling or being unable to complete the climb.  Time will tell if I am vindicated.





Outer helix sections
Outer helix sections


Outer helix sections


Outer helix sections


Outer helix sections


The photos show the helix baseboard frame and the perimeter boards being constructed and the final assembly with the 4 components arranged ready for bolting.  Future entries about the helix will explain exactly how the tracks will actually use it and the "threaded rod" system for spiralling......bet you can't wait eh?


New Arrivals on the Corkscrew

Progress over the first couple of months has been so rapid that I needed to purchase additional ironmongery!  I have eaten my way through the last delivery of screws and height adjusting feet so placed further orders.  With an eye on track laying I also purchased a couple of additional clamps and my 2nd bottle of woodworking glue.  For Helix construction I have purchased some "nut extenders".....Ooh Err Matron!  I'll explain what these are for in a later update regarding the Helix.  I won't list all the details here but drop me a line and I'll confirm my suppliers and prices etc.....I know some of you are really interested in this stuff.....the Corkettes who really should try to get out more.....only kidding!



Warning - Ironmongery Alert!


The roll of wire is for another side project which will be commenced when all of the baseboards and the frameworks have been finished.  It is speaker wire for the 4 satellite speakers I want to have in the room together with a sub-woofer and a surround sound amplifier.  This will be cascaded kit which used to be used in the lounge many years ago but was replaced with newer equipment but kept because "it may come in handy one day"....well that day has arrived.  With the amount of time I'll spend in the layout room I may as well have some decent sounds to listen to eh?  Porcupine Tree, Rush, Pink Floyd, Saxon and Spock's Beard in surround sound......heavenly!

Full Size Railway Adventures
  
Well not much to tell here of any particular interest.  I revisited my home town of Basingstoke a few weeks ago for a trip down memory lane and took some shots of the trains....as you do!  Waited patiently for a class 50 on the Waterloo-Exeter and for some 47s on the inter-modals (container trains as they were known by me in the good ole' days) and was disappointed.  Not even a Thumper on the Reading shuttle!  Things really have changed......and not for the better.

I have attached a shot of a "proper" train heading along the joint line for Spalding and the annual Flower Parade.  The train is the "Statesman" from Blackpool hauled by a class 57 and this was on the only excursion to travel to the parade this year.  Again, how times have changed.  I remember well travelling from Basingstoke to the parade in the early 80s with my best mate Mark, on a BR special excursion behind a class 33 or "Crompton" to those Neds out there.  The train left Waterloo and then ran via the North London line and into Liverpool Street to reverse.  Then along the GE main line to March where we took the Wisbech chord and the direct line through Whitemoor Yard to Spalding.  This line closed years ago and little did I know back then I would later in life live in the Fens and discover all these locations again.  Anyway, other excursions turned up from all over the country behind 31s, 37s, 40s, 45s, 47s etc etc.  I have included a couple of poor quality scans from the original slides to give you an idea.  It goes without saying we did the trip to sample the railway delights of Spalding.....not the tulips!.....not a single tractor was seen!




In a similar vein, a few weeks ago, Sarah and I went for a walk along what remains of the Spalding to Boston direct line.....another casualty of the rationalisation of lines in the Fens decades ago.  Most of this line's trackbed was converted into the new road linking the towns and indeed many of the village turn off's are still named Station Road for example.  The trackbed was straight and flat so ideal for the road builders.  The southern most part of the line ran through Spalding's suburbs and is now partially covered by housing and an industrial estate.  What remains, including an original bridge, has been turned into a walk and cycle way.  I attach a couple of shots of the remains.



 
In the next thrilling instalment...

Next time I'll show you the progress with the baseboards linking the layout to the helix and I'll also show you some of the shots from my recent visit to the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway's diesel running day.  There is also a new diesel hydraulic loco arrival for the line.....an essential piece of kit for the era and region I'm modelling.  I've also found some more road vehicle bargains on E-bay.

That's all for now......hope it wasn't too dull this time.

As always, keep in touch and drop by if you are in the neighbourhood.

Time for a cuppa I think!

Cheers,
Corky!

No comments:

Post a Comment