Thursday 28 June 2012

Update - No.8 - 30.04.11



Originally sent via email to friends and family only in Apr 2011

Hello again my lovely Corkettes.

As I intimated in the last update, I have been organising the Corkscrew area and rearranging items to free up more space in the layout room and I have relocated the spray booth to the main shed.  Although this means there hasn't been much significant work on the layout itself, it does show that I am running out of room for items not directly connected to the Corkscrew and all non essential items needed to be cleared to allow me to proceed around the walls.  That must mean I'm making progress.

Talking of progress....I have now completed the first corner section on the layout with all 4 levels now installed up to one side of the doorway.  As soon as the bolts were tightened and the legs levelled this whole section became extremely stable with hardly any sideways movement possible.  It seems I don't need to add any additional bracing after all and when the entire layout is assembled and all sections are bolted to their neighbours then the entire structure will become even more solid.....excellent!



End doorway panel and baseboards assembled
End doorway panel and baseboards assembled
End doorway panel and baseboards assembled
One of the shots shows my cat, Tammy making one of her frequent tours of inspection to monitor the works and she reported back to me she was impressed with the end board section and encouraged me to push on with the project.  At least that's what I think she was saying although Mrs Corky and "The Bexter" think she was just telling me to refill her food bowl.  I know different!


You can never have enough green Bristols - It's a fact!
Buses....loads of buses.  It would appear if you leave a few model buses together in a darkened room overnight then when you return they will have multiplied, rabbit style, into a representative west of England 1960's fleet ready to fill a bus garage.  Quite extraordinary - who's have thought it?  At this point I should clarify, if any of you do not already know it, that I do have a passion and unhealthy interest in buses.  It's not as strong as it used to be and the medication certainly helps, but I cannot resist the magnificent omnibuses of the 1960's and in particular the vehicles made by Bristol and supplied to the Tilling fleets such as Western National and Southern National.  Boyhood memories of my brother as a Hants & Dorset conductor (think "On the Buses") and stories from my late Father about driving buses in London in the 1950's didn't help quell the urges!  I suspect the area I am modelling will have a disproportionately high number of bus garages and bus stations but hey - it's my train set so why not?


Corky needs more tea - thirsty work assembling model railways!
One of the Corkettes paid a visit earlier this week.  See the attached shot of Mr Martyn Clemes, or as he's known to his friends "what scale or continent am I modelling this week Clemes" ....sorry Martyn, only kidding!  As always great to see you Martyn and yes of course you can run your trains on my lines when they are opened.  Just the decent western region heritage diesels - none of that North American nonsense mind!


Corkette - Martyn pays a visit
One of the Corkettes has disgraced himself by commenting that he thought he could see a Phantom of the Opera style mask in one of the last updates shots.  To suggest I have an interest in West End musicals is bad enough, but to think I am so sad that I would allow an item of Lloyd-Webber memorabilia into the inner sanctum of the Corkscrew is nothing short of scandalous.  I have included a photo of the misrepresented item which is of course my "ghost" I-pod dock.  This is genetically modified to sync with my own DNA and will therefore only play Prog'-Rock or Heavy Metal music.  You will hear magnificent sounds from the likes of Porcupine Tree, Spock's Beard, Rush, Pineapple Thief, OSI and Amplifier but you will never hear anything from or similar to Phantom of the Opera.  The Corkette involved will not be named or shamed and shall remain anonymous....just make sure it doesn't happen again Phil!

Essential prog-rock providing tool!
New Arrivals on the Corkscrew

I have been a very good boy and not purchased a single item since the last update.  I don't expect this will happen very often!

Full Size Railway Adventures


As I briefly mentioned last time, having sorted out a visa and had my jabs, I travelled oooop North with my good mate Johnny "Napier-Boy" Herbert last week to witness something extraordinary in the real railway world.  The "Neds & Cranks" amongst you will already know just how significant it is but I'll try to briefly outline the situation to those of you unfortunate enough not to drink from the enthusiast's cup as it were.  Following a major shortage of serviceable locos, GBRf decided they would hire a preserved class 55 "Deltic" loco to work their daily freight trains for them on the mainline in the North East of England until one of their own locos was available again.  That meant a 100mph passenger loco which was built 50 years ago and has been preserved for almost 30 years found itself back in revenue earning service hauling humble tank wagons running between North Blyth and Lynemouth Smelter.  I had to enjoy the absolutely extraordinary sight of such a magnificent thoroughbred British loco shunting "troublesome trucks" in an obscure freight only backwater.  It would be like the RAF running short of air worthy Typhoons so sending the remaining Lancaster bomber to Afghanistan to cover!  Anyway, the day was all about enjoying the event and not necessarily the photography but I include a few snaps to give you a feel for it all.  The Deltic in question is of course 55 022 "Royal Scots Grey".



Deltic nonsense in the North-East!
Deltic nonsense in the North-East!
Deltic nonsense in the North-East!
Deltic nonsense in the North-East!
Deltic nonsense in the North-East!

Anyway, that's more than enough for now my friends.  Next time I am hopeful I will be able to show the start of work on the centrepiece of the layout - the helix itself.  I now have a workable plan in my head and I will be doing some sketches and plans tomorrow to reassure myself it's time to cut wood.  This may be a long and ugly battle but I am determined to tame the helix!

Enjoy Corkettes and don't forget to drop by for a cuppa when you find yourself at a loose end.

Cheers,

Corky!

No comments:

Post a Comment