Saturday 30 June 2012

Update - No.11 - 14.06.11



Originally sent via email to friends and family only in June 2011
 
Hello again my friends - It's me yet again!


Tea time again!
Baseboards reach the helix area
Well, as I indicated in the last update, I have indeed now completed another 4 baseboards and connected them to the existing frames and the layout now extends from the entrance doorway to the helix sub-base boards.  You can see from the attached shots that so far my master plan is working and as previously, the more sections I add to the frames then the more rigid the entire structure becomes.  I now need to produce the next frame piece which will define the entry and exit points for the tracks onto the helix.  Once this is done, hopefully over the next week or so, then I can start to produce the roadbed sections for the helix and the tracks can start to be laid.  The helix is extremely difficult to explain because it performs so many different roles on the Corkscrew.....not just taking trains from one level to the next, but also providing hidden staging and industries.  Hopefully some photos and maybe in the future some sketches and plans will make it clearer. 

An inevitable issue with the continuing progress with the layout has been I am running out of space for the workbench in the middle of the room.  I will soon need to start fabricating the boards and frames in the hallway of the house but this can only be done when Sarah's not sleeping off a night shift.  Progress may slow slightly then but if I cannot erect more baseboards, then I can be laying the low level storage trackwork and the return loop instead.  In fact, laying track and extensive woodworking with power tools is not a very good combination.  The sawdust coats everything in sight so freshly laid track that needs constant cleaning should be avoided by assembling the boards off site.

As I mentioned last time, we had some visitors to the Corkscrew a couple of weeks back who took a particular interest in the baseboards and framework and carried out an extremely thorough investigation, as the photos will show.  Lesley & Rooster dropped by with their cats, Charlie & Blu.  I know it's unusual to travel with cats but because of special medical needs, Blu cannot be left for too long alone, hence he and his best buddy are frequent travellers.  Once released from their baskets they naturally sought out the delights of the Railway Room.....well they are blokes aren't they?  Thankfully our own Tammy is deaf and normally asleep so she was oblivious to most of what was going on and spent the duration of the visit in the lounge!  Anyway, once the boys discovered the wooden climbing frame "Uncle Chris" had assembled for them they were in their element.  I should point out similar visits will be discouraged once scenics and trains are present!!!!  Oh, and incidentally, I have no plans at present for a sub-group of Corkettes for our 4 legged friends!


Feline inspections!
Feline inspections!
Feline inspections!
Lesley, Rooster and furry friends
See shots below from our latest pilgrimage to see the greatest rock band in the world perform live.  We were lucky enough to see Rush at the NEC and as always they didn't disappoint.  This is the 3rd time I've seen the band that moulded and defined my musical tastes over 30 years ago and I'm already looking forward to seeing them again as soon as possible.  If you've not heard of them then that's not unusual.  They are the band other rock musicians listen to and are inspired by and it's a great feeling to be one of the people "in the know" about them.  When I first heard "subdivisions" - the first track on the album "Signals" way back in the early 80's I realised just how rock music could and should be played.  I like to think I did a reasonable job in bringing up Becky.  The pinnacle though was taking her to her first rock concert and the band being Rush.  Naturally she is now also a rocker and also bows to the genius or Mr Lee, Lifeson & Peart!  Thank you Rush!


Rush!
Rush!
Rush!
Full Size Railway Adventures

Johnny "Napier Boy" Herbert tipped me off about an interesting move by DRS over the joint line a few weeks back.....thanks mate!  I jumped on my bike (yes you did read that correctly) and I headed for the local over-bridge and waited.  Along came 37 602 hauling a solitary Anglia DVT heading for refurbishment at the Wabtec works at Doncaster.  I include a shot of the move and another shot of a similar move carried out by GBRf in 2006 at Ely with 66 719.  I was the driver on the day and I took the shot whilst waiting to perform the run round....the coach having been collected earlier in the day from Norwich.


A DRS Tractor rolls through the Fens
GBRf stock move at Ely - 2006
 Sarah and I headed to Crowland last week and I made an incredible discovery.  "Oh my Lords".....I stumbled across a class 50 working a passenger train. This is  a village I had lived in for many years and I had never before realised it still had a railway line!!!  Anyway I took some shots of the magnificent machine which seems to have received some unusual modifications to accommodate what must be the worlds largest train driver...and I've met a few!  I have also tacked onto the end some shots of "Hoovers" I have sampled over the last few years.  You will notice that unfortunately the East Lancs Railway were unable to find the funds for an appropriate headboard for their "Sprinting Man" rail-tour so improvised.....in my opinion unsuccessfully!  As a boy I grew up listening to 50's blasting under the flyover at Battledown in Basingstoke whilst in my bed at night and they quickly became my favourite class.  How did I ever miss the fact one now lived so close to my Fenland home?   Incidentally, If anybody out there has a Hornby class 50 fitted with a sound chip then please "come on down".  Whilst in the wrong era and wrong livery for what I'm trying to model on the Corkscrew, special dispensation will be given.....every time!



Hoover passenger action lives on in Crowland!
Surely the Driver will be out of gauge?
The sublime and the ridiculous - you choose!
The "Sprinting Man" railtour headboard!
East Lanc's superpower!
The Glory Days!
The final bit of real railway nonsense comes courtesy of a trip to Boston to collect more timber from Wickes last week.....surprise surprise!  I travelled over the link line into Boston Docks and noticed the Colas class 47 hauled steel train from Washford Heath was waiting in the yard.  It was still there when I passed by half an hour later with my precious timber so I thought I'd take a few snaps.  Only the camera on my phone available but it did the job.  Enjoy a shot of a classic diesel loco still working hard on the network despite being born way back in the 60's......dreadful!

Duff spotted in Boston!
New Arrivals on the Corkscrew

Mrs Corky has been at home a lot more recently after taking some annual leave and enjoying a spell of rest days.  I find this has a direct correlation with what I am allowed to buy and for what purpose!  Therefore, incredibly, no new arrivals to report this time.....sigh!!




 

Next time on the Corkscrew Lines......

Well, thanks to everybody that responded to Update No.10.  Neil, Nick, Jon, Jeff, Johnny to name but a few all responded with positive comments and I thank you all.  Unfortunately there does seem to be some anti-bus sentiment which I will not tolerate in this liberal and all embracing forum.  You know who you are!  Just accept an AEC Regent V is a thing of great beauty and wonderment and come out of the closet.....you'll be pleased you did.....you are amongst friends here, strange friends, but friends nonetheless!

Until next time my lovelies,

 The Corker!

No comments:

Post a Comment